Saturday, February 23, 2008

Fascinating Article

I'm Ill, But Who Needs to Know?

Fascinating article I'm sure most of us chronically ill types can relate to. We don't want our illnesses to hold us back, we want to work, but at the same time we don't tell our employers upfront. I personally have done this. At my old job at Pizza Hut, I worked successfully for two month (it was a summer gig) and no one was any the wiser. At my current job I disclosed it about 3 months after I started working there. It's a small office and everyone's pretty cool about it.

But at the same time, I've had organizations to which I was seeking membership ask me about my health and me being stupid, I was honest and told them. I was suspicious about that question and contacted people to ensure that this wouldn't be used in a discriminatory way, and they assured me it wasn't. But guess what? It was.

So now my current position is "you are not getting my health information out of me unless your subpoena me because it's none of your business." Even then, aren't I protected under the 5th amendment in that case? So yeah, basically, legally speaking I don't have to tell you anything.

No comments: