Saturday, December 29, 2007

You've gotta laugh

Sometimes having POTS and using certain adaptive tools to help me through the day (cane, compression tights, etc.) gets me certain stares or outright questions/comments from random folks.

This especially happens when I use my cane. I used it far more often in the summer than I do now, but I still use it. I get funny looks because I'm 20. You don't very often see someone my age on a cane. I get some "WTF?" looks on the street, but not too many since Pittsburgh is a mecca for medical freaks like me (The University of Pittsburgh Medical System can treat just about anything that ails you). The most interesting ones I get are from older folks on the bus. It almost seems as though they're thinking to themselves "Eh, it could be worse." At least, that's what I imagine they're thinking.

But a lot of what I get is people who knew me before I started using the cane and I can't say I really blame them. Usually they think something horrific has happened to me. No no. You know that thing I have? No, not that one, the other thing? Yeah, it got worse. I'm usually nice enough to explain what's up to those with good intentions, but sometimes I neither have the time nor the energy to explain. That's when I have to reach into the snappy comeback file.

The best one I've been able to come up with so far is "I'm a pimp." It makes them laugh and I can make my getaway before they say "No, seriously..."

Then there's the compression tights. Those are flesh toned and actually pretty discrete. Even when I'm in shorts or a skirt they aren't the noticeable. The only way you can really tell is if you're either a) within a foot of my leg or b) witnessing me pull at the tights. That's when I get, "What's up with the tights?" That's when I say, "I'm a superhero. Shhhh."

Yeah, those aren't the best comebacks in the world. But you work with what you've got.

No comments: