Saturday, January 5, 2008

POTS and IBS

As some of you may know, or not know, one of the things that tends to go hand in hand with POTS is IBS, or Irritable Bowel Syndrome, a disorder of the gastrointestial tract that causes abdominal pain, cramping, bloating, constipation and diarrhea. It's annoying, but not necessarily life threatening. It's usually managed by diet. Both POTS and IBS are related to the autonomic nervous system, so it makes sense that they tend to go hand in hand. I've never been formally diagnosed with IBS, but I wouldn't be surprised if I have it considering that I fit most of the diagnosis criteria. I've never gone through the trouble of getting it diagnosed because there aren't really many medicines out there to treat it and to me the abdominal discomfort and bloating and constipation have become background noise to my life. I've learned to ignore it. Although this is helpful with coping, it's bad as well because I tend to forget what foods will set symptoms off. Even now, because I always push it to the back of my mind, I'm having difficulty remembering what foods set me off. So in that spirit, if I encounter a food that sets me off, I'm going to write it down here, starting with today's experiences and what I remember

Pretzels
Red Onions
Caffeine
Alcohol (the morning after)

I've also noticed that yogurt really helps, so I've been incorporating that into my diet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is very important to get properly diagnosed with IBS, mainly because having a pre-existing condition such as POTS does not make anyone immune to other GI problems such as IBDs.

I would recommend you check out helpforibs.com or 'IBS: The First Year' or 'Eating For IBS'. Fyi, dairy is an IBS trigger - yogurt may be helping because of the probiotics but a dairy free probiotic supplement is likely help more (dairy free and more of the good bacteria)!

RK said...

I appreciate that you took a simple, how to article by explaining the process step by step and how to Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). IBS Treatment in Homeopathy

Unknown said...

I just couldn’t leave your website before telling you that I truly enjoyed the top quality info you present to your visitors? Thanks for sharing this information. Best Homeopathy Doctor in Hyderabad

Masters Homeopathy said...

Masters Homeopathy
Best homeopathy doctors near me
Homeopathy doctors near me
Hepatitis Homeopathy tratment
Best Homeoapthy Doctos in Hyderabad
Homeopathy hospitals near me