Saturday, January 12, 2008

Random Anecdote

I go to the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center for my medical stuffs. This center frequently gets ranked among the best hospitals in the country with a wide array of specialties. They can treat pretty much anything there.

When I was at the doc's office yesterday, he attempted to enter "postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome" into the diagnosis field in the computer. It came back with an error message, saying that it was an invalid entry.

For a hospital as big and supposedly as great as UPMC to not recognize POTS just shows how rare this thing is. I don't know the exact figures of how many people have POTS, but I read somewhere that it was 500,000 in the US. For a population of 300 million people, that equals 0.17% of the population that has this disorder. Pretty freakin' rare.

Also, I'm having my first day off the Florinef today. So far all is well. I was a little foggy and feverish at the beginning of the basketball game (I'm in the pep band) but that has subsided.

No comments: